- Your Government
- Parks & Recreation
- Info & Contact
- Mission Statement
The Parks and Recreation Department exists to provide meaningful recreation and leisure opportunities through program offerings and the provision of parks, special use areas and facilities. The Parks and Recreation Department wishes to create a positive relationship between staff, volunteers and the public through mutual respect and consideration.
Objectives of This Service
- Provide opportunities for relaxation, learning and socialization to promote personal growth and well being.
- Continuously improve the quality and safety of our facilities and services.
- Provide a well-rounded and worthwhile program to meet basic social, physical and creative needs.
- Provide an opportunity for the learning of lifelong leisure skills, and an outlet for creative individual and group expression.
- Provide facilities and programs that will touch the lives of the greatest possible number of people.
- Conduct activities which will have appeal to persons of all skill levels.
- Reflect the area's customs, traditions, interests, and unique characteristics and resources.
- Plan and organize, and whenever possible, to encourage family participation.
- Include services which meet the needs of exceptional persons and special groups.
- Utilize all recreation resources available in the area.
The system was first established in 1959 when the Recreation Board was formed. This advisory body helped the Board of Supervisors and sometimes governed directly on recreation issues. In 1984, the Township Council hired a director. The Recreation Board remained an advisory body, aiding the Director as well. In 1988 the name was changed to Park and Recreation Department. Park and recreation services are now recognized as a necessary and viable function of municipal government, directly responsible to a Council/Manager form of government.